Monday 28 November 2011

The 12 Irrational Beliefs (iB's) of REBT

1.   I need love and approval from those significant to me – and I must avoid disapproval from any source.
2.   To be worthwhile as a person I must achieve, succeed at whatever I do, and make no mistakes.
3.    People should always do the right thing. When they behave obnoxiously, unfairly or selfishly, they must be blamed and punished.
4. Things must be the way I want them to be – otherwise life will be intolerable.
5.   My unhappiness is caused by things outside my control – so there is little I can do to feel any better.
6.   I must worry about things that could be dangerous, unpleasant or frightening – otherwise they might happen.
7. I can be happier by avoiding life’s difficulties, unpleasantness, and responsibilities.
8.  Everyone needs to depend on someone stronger than themselves.
9. Events in my past are the cause of my problems – and they continue to influence my feelings and behaviors now.
10. I should become upset when other people have problems and feel unhappy when they’re sad.
11.   I should not have to feel discomfort and pain – I can’t stand them and must avoid them at all costs.
12.Every problem should have an ideal solution, and it is intolerable when one can’t be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment